James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young: The epigraph, Bildungsroman,The Christmas dinner, Episodes in the early life of Stephen, Daedalus myth, Charles Stewart Parnell, Stephen’s mother
Like the rhythms in nature, such as the motion of the planets, the succession of seasons, and the beating of the heart, poetic rhythm usually is organized in regularly recurring patterns. Such patterns regulate the motion of the music and aid the human ear in grasping its structure. The most basic rhythmic unit is the Iambic pentameter, alternates weak unstressed and strong stressed syllables to make a ten-syllable line (weak strong/weak strong/weak strong/weak strong/weak strong).
- The structural approach has limited application. It is best suited for the early stage of teaching English.
- The structural approach ever emphasizes oral work and speech manipulation. There is blind repetition of structural items during oral teaching.
- The approach ignores reading and writing children fail to expand their language acquisition.
- This approach fails to exploit children’s mother tongue.
- The proper working out of the structural approach requires efficient teachers. There is acute dearth of such teachers.
- It is not practicable in Indian schools.
- It will not help cover the syllabus.
Ref : Methods of Teaching English by M. E. S. Elizabeth
Before we set our discussion on Nora and Cathleen as a choric element in Synge’s play, Riders to the Sea, it is better to pip into the chorus first. Chorus, the term, used originally by the ancient Greeks in Attic drama of the 6th and 5th centuries bc, is a group of singers and dancers who take part in a drama and are accompanied by music. Being independent from the crux of the action they represent as objective observer, commentator, author’s point of view and even a conscience of the audience. Since its first use as a dramatic convention chorus do have many changes depending upon the dramatist’s purpose. However, the main elements remain more or less the same.
Robert Browning’s treatment of human psychology and attitude to life reflected in : Two in the Campagna and The Laboratory
An English Teacher; M. A.(English) , D. Ed., B. Ed., UGC- NET Qualified
"Dear Readers/ Students, I am a huge fan of books, English Grammar & Literature. I write this blog to instill that passion in you along with the usual strong will of earning some money through selling ad space. I also feel proud to be in 'free' literature learning initiative because it will be more easy to get and find you out there . Already thousand posts written and a few thousand healthy discussions made in this blog. And if you want to contribute in writing or support in money, you're welcome."