Igbo Society and Astonishing Variety of Women's roles in Chinua Achebe’s Novels make them Masterpiece
And Shakespeare’s plays, as has already been mentioned, were meant to be enacted and not for closet reading. So, the story came first with him. William Shakespeare’s for all this popularity and universality was not an original story – writer but an original story – teller only. Shakespeare was a unique creator; but not an inventor of stories. He never took the trouble of inventing his plots. He drew upon, for the materials of his plays, such stories as had already been invented or recorded, provided only that they were suitable to his particular purpose, and were well – known or popular. Where from did William Shakespeare get so many stories for so many of his plays? It is here that we turn to the topic on hand, Shakespeare’s sources. There are four difficulties in a discussion of Shakespeare’s use of his sources.
Shakespeare’s Imagination and Sources: Italian Novella, English History, and Wellknown Romances of Europe
According to Thompson and Wyatt (Teaching of English By Tiwari) there are four specific aim of teaching English at the school stage. They are-
What mighty contests rise from trivial things."
- Confessional Poetry -- A middle generation of 20th-century American poets emerged in the 1950s and 1960s, most of them born in the second decade of the century. Many achieved fame, including Robert Lowell, Randall Jarrell, John Berryman, Theodore Roethke, Karl Shapiro, and Delmore Schwartz. Several came to be known as confessional poets because of their use of modernist techniques to explore their own psychology and their lives. These techniques included irony, collage, verbal finish (careful attention to word choice for the effects of sound or rhythm as well as for meaning), and wide-ranging allusion.
- Science Fiction-- Science Fiction, genre of fiction set in some imaginary time or place. In its original usage in the 1920s, science fiction referred to stories that appeared in cheap, so-called pulp magazines, but science fiction now appears in all media, including motion pictures, staged dramas, television programs, and video games, as well as short stories and book-length works. Science fiction is sometimes abbreviated SF.
- Luther is praised as a hero by Carlyle in his lecture on the ‘Hero as King’.
- Ruskin’s Modem Painters began as a defence of contemporary landscape artist especially Turner.
- The term ‘the Palliser Novels’ is used to describe the political novels of Charles Dickens.
- Identify the poet, whom Queen Victoria, regarded as the perfect poet of ‘love and loss’—Tennyson
- A verse form using stanza of eight lines, each with eleven syllables, is known as Rhyme Royal.
- Sir Thomas Wyatt first used blank verse in English poetry.
- The Aesthetic Movement which blossomed during the 1880s was not influenced by The Pre-Raphaelites
- The expression "ancestral voices prophesying war" occurs in : Kubla khan.
'I know myself,' he cried, 'but that is all.'
Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again; and then in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open, and show riches
Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked
I cried to dream again."
- Philip Pip is commonly known as ‘Pip’ in Great Expectations.
- The novel The Power and the Glory is set in Mexico.
- Lord of the Flies is Golding’s first novel. “Faith un-faithful kept him falsely true.”- Tennyson =Simile
- W. B. Yeats used the phrase ‘the artifice of eternity’ in his poem in Byzantium.
- Herbert Pocket is Pip’s friend in London.
- Mr. Tench in The Power and the Glory is a dentist.
- The Nun.s Priest.s Tale had its origin in : The French Roman de Renart.
- The First Folio of Shakespeare.s plays appeared in: 1623 .
An English Teacher; M. A.(English) , D. Ed., B. Ed., UGC- NET Qualified
"Dear Readers/ Students, I am a huge fan of books, English Grammar & Literature. I write this blog to instill that passion in you along with the usual strong will of earning some money through selling ad space. I also feel proud to be in 'free' literature learning initiative because it will be more easy to get and find you out there . Already thousand posts written and a few thousand healthy discussions made in this blog. And if you want to contribute in writing or support in money, you're welcome."