- Make an analysis of the topics of Dryden's essay. Point out any other principles besides those enumerated that you have noticed, and also show the points of comparison on which the critical findings rest. What does Dryden say with regard to the relative value of these points of interest?
- What does he say of "conceits," and how sound are his reasons?
- Compare the present essay with the Epistle Dedicatory to the Rival Ladies (1664, Ker, Vol. I., p. i) with a view to showing the difference of material in each. With the preface to Annus Mirabilis (1666, Ker, Vol. I., p. 10).
- With the essay on Heroic Plays (1672, Ker, Vol. I., p. 148), and others. Compare it, in point of material, critical principles, appeal to authority, method of arriving at judgments, and form, with the celebrated Essay of Dramatic Poesy, 1668.
- Compare Dryden from these points of view with preceding and succeeding critics, such as Sidney, Ben Jonson, Addison, and Samuel Johnson.
Ref: Criticism in English Poetry, Chapter, Dryden- M. A. Goodman and F. N. Chorean